Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Rainy Day Equals a Long-Overdue Post!

Good Afternoon!

I realize that I have not posted in a (very LONG) while.  There have been a few reasons for that.  The main one being that until just recently, it was all I could do to even face sewing!! I was just NOT interested in sewing--a TRUE rarity for the spring months for me! I think a LOT of it had to do with discouragement with our current events that we do.  ALL of our usual events are either brand new (i.e. small and just getting off the ground), have totally changed hands (no idea what to really expect), or are significantly changing (not usually for the better, in my opinion).  The authenticity of the events we do leave MUCH to be desired in a progressive reenactor like myself and I was just plain frustrated and discouraged.  Fortunately, and providentially ('cause BOY did I need motivation!!), a fellow Sewing Academy member and her family ended up camping next to our units camp!! It amazes me how if they (or us) had been camped anywhere else we might never have met! Anyway, her presence at this newly-changed (for the better, fortunately!) event encouraged me to persevere and even brought back the Sewing Bug! :) It's so encouraging to see children dressed appropriately! And when they're nice children that my children can play with, it's even better! Unfortunately, that will probably be the only event that we get to see them at this year, but I will just have to look forward to next year! ;)

Pre-event sewing projects included pretty much totally revamping my two kids' wardrobes (BOY did they grow!).  I was hoping to get another year out of Elsa's Pink Yoked Dress, but alas, her torso grew WAY too much to even limp it through a few events! She still weighs the same (last I checked) as she did last October, but she is MUCH taller! So a new dress (two, eventually) was an order.  She also needed a new petticoat and stayed underdress (drawers were okay!).  I made a pinafore for her, as well, since she only has one dress completed.  She desperately needs a corded bonnet, too.  Nathaniel needed new tunics (I won't complain since he got 2 years out of the old ones) and a hat.  Fortunately, I was able to extend his pants one more season (so that will be 3 years with those!!!) by moving the buttons! :) His hat and second tunic are still "in process".

Unfortunately, I don't have too many pictures of their completed stuff, but I do have a couple I can share from the event:

Poor guy lost a battle with a toy truck in modern times!

I'll be posting an updated sewing needs list and I'll hopefully get some pictures of Elsa's underthings to share, as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment