Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spring 2011 Sewing List - Update #2

Here's my currently updated Spring 2011 Sewing To-Do list (original list posted on 3/29) with newest updates in creamy burnt orange (red is from Update #1):

Mend N's hat Finished 3/26
Pocket in wool dress skirt
Finished 3/26
Corset - I've got the "first draft" (mockup stage) almost ready to go.
Finish Toile - I really can't finish this until I do the corset...
Wool bodice - I really can't do this until I finish the toile! (This fabric)
Semi-sheer dress - See "wool bodice" ^^.  I ripped the skirt panels today (5/18).  This fabric
Fancy petticoat - Because let's face it, I just need a fancy petticoat to go under my sheer dress and my wrapper! My inspiration image.
Re-pleat Green cotton print dress skirt - Fortunately, this is the only dress that needs re-pleating after I made my cage!
Shirt for Tim -  Finished 5/11
Cage - Finished 4/11
Kid's clothes:
Underclothes - I originally thought it'd be okay, but I actually ended up having to take one of the petticoats up because Miss E is a tiny thing :) 
E's Dress - Finished 5/11 
Short sleeves in N's tunics

Monday, May 16, 2011

Pink Yoked Dress


I finished DD's dress a few days ago and finally got around to dressing her up and taking pictures--taking pictures of a fully mobile 10 month old is a feat in and of itself. :P

Yep.  She's a ham.

I got the fabric from Joann's for 3.99 a yard.  It's a really nice quality cotton.  I used Liz's infant dress pattern (and yes I did a mock-up--or rather three.  Miss-E doesn't seem to be average, but of course, I knew that already :D).  I have always wanted to do a yoked style, and this was the perfect chance! The sleeves are the loose style sleeves.  It closes with hooks and eyes in the back.  It's sewn 100% by hand (I seem to be doing things by hand more and more :)). 

I am SO very pleased with how it came out!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tim's Shirt and a Sneak-Peek

I finished Tim's shirt a while back, but I had to wash it after all the handling, grubby children fingers, and muddy dogs rubbing up against it while I was sewing. :P (good thing they're cute). The pattern (Laughing Moon #107) worked up really nicely! The directions and illustrations were very clear and the pieces all fit together really well.

I made the changes that are suggested in this SA thread to make the shirt more appropriate than a square-cut shirt for 1860s. These changes include:

  • Squaring off the bottom (rather than the round shape the pattern has)
  • Omitting the sleeve placket piece and slit and simply hemming the edges of the slit in the seam
  • Gathering the yoke all the way across instead of in two distinct spots
  • Moving the cuff buttonholes up near the sleeve/cuff seam, per Mrs. Schmitt's suggestion
I would change a few things next time around.
  • Center the buttonholes in the front placket rather than keep it 1/2" from the fold.
  • Be more careful when putting in the collar (I somehow got it flipped upside down so the interfaced side is on the bottom...>-/)
  • Make the collar smaller for DH's small neck ;)
All in all, those are very minor things and I'm very pleased with how it came out! The fabric was REALLY nice to work with!

More Sewing Academy reading on Men's shirts:
My questions about this pattern and what collar views to use, etc.
Men's Dress Shirt
Style's of Men's Shirts
Adventure in Man's Shirt

And just a little sneak-peek into my current project, Elsa's Dress: