Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tim's Shirt and a Sneak-Peek

I finished Tim's shirt a while back, but I had to wash it after all the handling, grubby children fingers, and muddy dogs rubbing up against it while I was sewing. :P (good thing they're cute). The pattern (Laughing Moon #107) worked up really nicely! The directions and illustrations were very clear and the pieces all fit together really well.

I made the changes that are suggested in this SA thread to make the shirt more appropriate than a square-cut shirt for 1860s. These changes include:

  • Squaring off the bottom (rather than the round shape the pattern has)
  • Omitting the sleeve placket piece and slit and simply hemming the edges of the slit in the seam
  • Gathering the yoke all the way across instead of in two distinct spots
  • Moving the cuff buttonholes up near the sleeve/cuff seam, per Mrs. Schmitt's suggestion
I would change a few things next time around.
  • Center the buttonholes in the front placket rather than keep it 1/2" from the fold.
  • Be more careful when putting in the collar (I somehow got it flipped upside down so the interfaced side is on the bottom...>-/)
  • Make the collar smaller for DH's small neck ;)
All in all, those are very minor things and I'm very pleased with how it came out! The fabric was REALLY nice to work with!

More Sewing Academy reading on Men's shirts:
My questions about this pattern and what collar views to use, etc.
Men's Dress Shirt
Style's of Men's Shirts
Adventure in Man's Shirt

And just a little sneak-peek into my current project, Elsa's Dress:

No comments:

Post a Comment